Monday, November 27, 2006

Which is Which?



One of these is the Pumpkin Cake with Whipped Cream and Pecan Praline that I made as part of my family's Thanksgiving Feast. The other is the Pumpkin Cake that Rachael Ray made for her Thanksgiving edition of Everyday with Rachael Ray. Can you tell which is which? (If you are judging by the quality of the photography, that is cheating.)



From my earliest preparation of our Thanksgiving menu, I was most excited making this cake. This little project was one full of firsts for me...it is the first time I have 1) sliced layers of cake in half, as evenly as possible, of course, 2) made my own whipped cream frosting from scratch, and 3) assembled a 4-layer cake with a lazy susan and an offset spatula. This is one of my greatest culinary accomplishments, if I do say so myself. It was almost too pretty to eat...but not quite!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think yours looks awesome (and more importanlty, delicious)! Rachael always claims she isn't good at baking, was this recipe pretty easy? The setup of it all looks quite complicated though!

blythe said...

You are quite the chef! It really does look beautiful and I'm sure it tasted delicious!

taryn said...

Heid, this recipe was actually pretty easy...well, maybe easy is not the word, because there were quite a few more steps involved than adding eggs and oil to a cake mix (this cake was built from scratch), but it was pretty straight forward. Yeah, Rachael does always proclaim to be baking-inept, so I'm pretty sure she was not the one to come up with this recipe. But, I sure am glad that she included it in her magazine anyway!

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed! The cake looks delicious. I want to try it. I love all this blogging about yummy food. It sounds like your thanksgiving feast was amazing! You are darling. I too spend much of the day watching Rachel or other food shows or looking on the internet. I only wish I had more time/money to make some of these! Someday!

mattnbeth said...

tar im impressed. that looks fabulous. i want some of it just looking at the pic. and no you cant tell which is which. they look exactly the same! :)

taryn said...

Oh, beth--you are so sweet! And, Katie--I'm with ya. I learned my lesson last year when, before I started working, I pretty much spent my days planning, shopping for, and executing dinner every night. I spent WAY too much on groceries! But it sure was fun! It will probably be a while before I am able to do that again. ;)