Friday, May 09, 2008

Jet Setter

On Wednesday, little Reese, who was not even three months old (she turns 12 weeks old today), took her first trip on an airplane!  Needless to say, her mother was incredibly anxious about taking a baby all the way to Montana on an airplane with no escape--what if she screams the whole time? what if while feeding her I expose myself to the entire plane? what if her ears pop? what if she wants to stand up and bounce and the seat belt light is on?  Pretty much, I was anticipating the worst.  For the few days before our trip, every time Reese would get fussy or become distracted while eating (I got a new nursing cover for the trip and Reese was not immediately a fan--she would throw her arm straight out, displacing my nursing cover), I would say to her, "Reese, you'd better not do this on Wednesday!"

On Wednesday morning I talked to Lindsey, who has taken Tyson on numerous trips across the country, and she gave me lots of tips for traveling with an infant.  V. helpful!  Finally, it was time to put the little mush in the car and be on our way.  When we got to the airport, who should be checking in to be on our same flight but the Wheatleys!  Michael's dad's cousin and his wife, and two of my favorite people from Michael's home ward, were also going to Salt Lake City and were going to be only two rows behind Reese and me!  I immediately felt more comfortable and confident to know that there would be at least two friendly faces, even if Reese did scream during the flight.

Reese fell asleep while I fed her during takeoff and I thought we were off to a great start!  When she woke up 30 minutes later, I knew it could be a very long flight...but it did go by faster than I anticipated.  Reese did have some fussy moments--and, luckily, the seat belt sign was not illuminated when she was getting really worked up, so I went to the back of the plane to rock her to sleep.  I don't think the flight attendants were thrilled to have me back there, but whatev.  Reese was just so excited to be on her first plane ride that she just didn't want to stay asleep or miss anything (she took three cat naps during the 4 1/2 hour flight, and that just isn't enough sleep for the little darling.)

Reese woke up as we landed in Salt Lake and stayed awake through our hour layover--which was now way past her bedtime, but as it was still light outside, she thought it was still playtime!  After we boarded the flight to Kalispell, we had to sit on the plane for a long time while Delta straightened out the paperwork, and Reese was very content to just be checking things out.  I fed her again during takeoff and this time she was very tired and fussy when she finished--I was dying, just knowing that on a fuller, smaller plane everyone was probably thinking horrible thoughts about me and why I couldn't keep my baby happy--but after a few minutes, Reese finally went to sleep and stayed asleep until we landed in Kalispell! (And, much to the dismay of my parents, Reese stayed asleep until the middle of the night, so they didn't get to play with her right away.)  When we got off the plane and waited for our bag (yes, only one for the two of us--probably the lightest I've ever packed in my life!), I noticed that I was a little shaky...I had to tell myself that I could finally relax because we made it!

All in all, Reese was a pretty good little traveler!  I learned that the middle of the week is a good time to fly with a baby because the flights weren't completely full, allowing us to have a whole row to ourselves on both flights.  Really, I should give Reese more credit--she was a champ all the way through the security line (which was unusually long for a Wednesday afternoon), and in both airports, even smiling at the Delta personal as I asked for favors, and she was perfectly calm and quite while we just sat on the airplane in Salt Lake for about thirty or forty minutes before takeoff.  There was a toddler sitting in the row in front of us on the way to Salt Lake and she was fussy for a lot longer than Reese, so I didn't feel so bad.  Hopefully we will have as good an experience on the way home!

7 comments:

Heidi said...

I am so glad to hear everything went so well! That is quite the long flight for Reese and you by yourselves. Max was totally zonked on both of our flights (to and from Utah) but both times he also started screaming crying as soon as we got off the plane- it was the worse feeling in the world as everyone in the terminal was staring at us while we walked to baggage claim.

alma and nicole smith said...

im glad she was good...and trust me, that is GOOD! i should have done my traveling when jagger slept more. florida was a nightmare and hawaii is coming up in august! maybe i could just give him a sedative?! :) have fun in montana!!

Lyns said...

So glad things went well! There is nothing more nerve wracking than a plane ride with a baby! She sounds like she was a little sweetheart. Now you have your first plane ride over with a baby! Also, there comes a point when you just don't care what the other passengers think. Granted, you do everything in your power to keep the little Miss happy, but in reality it's probably not bugging the other people as much as you would think. They most likely have kids too. :)

Tessa said...

Taryn,
what a darling! I cannot wait to meet her this summer! Call me when you have some free time in Monty... after 3pm :) Love you!!!

Lauren said...

I liked this post, but kept reading in hopes of a picture of your little traveler. Even if you posted on your new favorite girly book, I'd still want a picture of baby! :) Can't wait to see you/her!

taryn said...

sorry, I only had so many hands available..I did take one with my phone, didn't I send it to you? I swear I always seem to get the best pictures of her on my phone--I've got to figure out a way to get those onto my compy. I will text it to you if you want--it is my new wallpaper, her best picture yet!

Scott and Katie said...

Good Job Tar! I big motherhood milestone already! I remember the first time I flew with the girls when we moved. They were only 3 weeks and as we started taking off both of them started to cry and I was totally panicked and started getting all anxious and teary. Luckily they calmed down after a few minutes. Since then we've flown with the girls tons of times and I've gotten much more used to it. Although we have our moments and people give us looks like "Why can't you keep your kids quiet?" I've realized that most of those people probably had little kids on an airplane once and in general people understand. Besides you'll never see them again anyway! I've determined it is worth a few hours of tortue to have some good family time. This is what I've been telling myself to get pumped up as I'm flying alone with the girls to Utah in a couple of weeks!