Saturday, January 16, 2010

baby shower

To celebrate the arrival of Baby Dellin (due to arrive any second now!), Jessica and I threw together a little shower. I love baby showers! And I can't wait to meet the little mush.

...a look at the spread...
On the menu:
italian chicken salad on croissants
hot spinach and artichoke dip
green salad with avocados and grapefruit
vanilla cake with chocolate frosting
cookies and cream banana bread
fresh fruit with vanilla honey mascarpone dip
veggie crudite
How cute is our train cake?!
...and our train cookie favors!...
...all the cookies had a "D" for Dellin and a baby conductor.

I think the winner of the food turned out to be the spinach and artichoke dip, if I do say so myself. So, I thought I would share the recipe that I used:

Here's what you'll need:
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup 1/2-inch cubes rindless Brie
1 cup grated Monterey Jack
1 (6 1/2-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/4 cup grated Parmesan


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-inch round dish and set aside.

Thaw the spinach and squeeze to remove all excess water. Set aside. In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, to make a light roux, about 2 minutes. Add the milk and cream in a steady stream, and cook, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cooked spinach and lemon juice, and stir to incorporate. Add the cubed and grated cheeses, artichoke hearts, and stir well. Remove from the heat and pour into the prepared dish. Top with the Parmesan and bake until bubbly, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve hot with assorted crackers or chips.


10 comments:

Abby said...

Perfect timing, I was just craving this the other day--I'll have to try it!

Bachelor this week?

Heidi said...

Geeze now I'm hungry! Someday I will attend an event catered by you! What is the recipe for the Italian Chicken Sandwiches?

Very cute train cake!

Granum Family said...

Yummy! I'd like the chicken salad recipe too :)

Jessica F. said...

You seriously rock! I also need that Italian Chicken recipe... it was amazing!

Lauren said...

Dellin, that is a cute name. Is this the first 'boy' shower you've thrown? Love the tablescape and all your yummy recipes. You never miss a beat!

ME SO HUNGRY!

ruth said...

you'll have to let me borrow some of your recipies for my baby shower in april... you always have the yummiest looking stuff!!

Kelly Dowling Stimpson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly Dowling Stimpson said...

Like Mother like daughter - I too prepared the Italian Shredded Chicken on croissants last weekend at the team party (a side to Dad's yummy tenderloin).
THe train cake is so cute!! I'll be no one wanted to cut into that work of art. (Not to mention the fab looking cookies)
Blue table cloth, too! You go girl!

Kelly Dowling Stimpson said...

PS Hey, is that my dip recipe, minus the shrimp? So yummy!!

Lindsey from The R House said...

those train cookies!!! my boys would be in heaven. if only we lived closer to our favorite Aunt T!

LOVE YOU GUYS!