Tuesday, March 16, 2010

sweet home alabama

We made it to Alabama! Reese was a champ (I had the Cinderella soundtrack--she LOVES the 'little dressmakers' song, I will try to get some video of her singing it--a portable DVD player with Little Einsteins and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and all the fruit snacks she could want...it was the best road trip ever!), the 26-foot truck made it in one piece, and it was 70 degrees when we got to Montgomery. Within 24 hours of arriving, and lots of apartment tours, we decided on a new apartment. We could not have done it without Michael's parents helping us to get down to Alabama, and without my mom helping us to get settled in. Here we are, waving from our new balcony.


Michael started his new job on Monday and so far he loves it! He works at the Courthouse, which is a really cool building downtown...with apparently awesome interiors--he says it is like working at the Ritz Carlton. My favorite part is that he is finished at 4:30pm! It is a far cry from the hours he has been keeping for the last few years, and we are eating up every minute with him!

It has been really fun to be back in the South and remember all of the pleasantries and Southern hospitality that is alive and well down here. For example, my mom and I were picking up a few things at TJ Maxx and when we were checking out, we told the clerk that I was new to town and asked what her favorite restaurants are in the area. She told us her favorites, but then this guy who was checking out next to us overheard our conversation and said, as he walked behind us to leave, "The Chop House in Cloverdale is my favorite." He was so nice and friendly and I said to my mom, "I love this place!" The next day at Costco, I could not believe how friendly the sample people were (as well as the other people waiting to get a sample!). The Costco that I am used to is probably the most unfriendly place I know of...no one is smiling, no one is nice, and every one is so cut-throat about samples!

More to come on our adventures in Alabama.



13 comments:

Heidi said...

I love that you are in the South again- it sounds like a great fit for your family!

Lyns said...

Yay! I'm so excited for you guys! What a fun, new adventure!

Abby said...

Costco in Arlington is cut throat--I practically have a panic attack trying to park anytime I go on a Saturday:)

Yay you made it! Your new place looks awesome. Enjoy the warm weather and the South, but don't forget to come back!

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a safe move. Best wishes in the South! It missed you. :)

Littleshortstacks said...

Three cheers for new adventures! Congrats on the job and the move. Good luck and enjoy that southern hospitality...such a change from DC!

Reese is so big!

Jessica F. said...

Look at all that space. What a dream!

We miss you tons and look forward to hearing more about all those friendly southerners!

Melissa said...

Oh yay! I'm so glad that you already love it there! Your new place is perfect and that's so great that Michael's done at 4:30. Live it up!! Glad to see you made it and that people are nice still...I think I'm starting to forget people can be like that! Clearly I've been here too long...

blythe said...

so glad things are going well. i love your place. miss you!

Jessica said...

I love your new place! It is so big...and I wonder if Reese is loving the ceiling fan. I know Matthew would be obsessed with it.

We miss you like crazy! Matthew's new best friend is Quincy since Reese is gone. He is starting to sleep with him.

Lauren said...

yay for alabamy! Your place is fabulous and I can't wait to visit. Until then, keep me posted on tj, tennis, costco and southern delish food!

(AND more reese posts! pronto)

Kelly Dowling Stimpson said...

I really think you should add: 'And Williams Sonoma - my "happy place" - is in a shopping center only 4 miles away!" [Oh, and FIve Guys in the same shopping center! ]
You'll be tanner this summer than you've been in ages.
Love,
Mommacat

Lindsey said...

cute apartment! and how nice to have a hubby home at 4.30!

Cameron and Cindy said...

Yea! We are glad that you are here! :)