Saturday, April 30, 2011

babymoon

You might think that a babymoon is a trip you take with your spouse before the baby comes...one last hoorah, if you will, while you still have some freedom. I took my babymoon with my baby--a couple days with just the two of us.

My grandmother passed away last week and Hudson and I traveled to Ohio for her funeral. When my mom first talked to me about going, she said she figured I wouldn't be able to go since I had a new baby and a three year old. I know she was trying to make things easier on me; but, luckily, my twin sister called me to tell me that I really needed to come--that she wanted me to come, so she could see me and meet Hudson, but also that I would also really regret not being there. Bless her. I needed someone to tell me that. So, I set up some playdates for Reese with some of my very supportive friends and booked my flight. Reese was sad for about 2.5 seconds when I told her that I was going on a trip without her. It went something like this:

Me: Reese, Hudson and I are going to go on a trip for a couple of days and you are going to stay home with Dad.

Reese: But, if you go on a trip, I will miss you too much.

Me: I know, but I set up some playdates for you while I am gone. One day you will go to Haley's house, and one day you will go to Liberty's house, and one day you will go to Julia Karen's house. You are going to have so much fun!

Reese: I love it when you go out of town!

I know she was just trying to make me feel less guilty.

So, after a delicious Easter dinner, made by my in-laws who were passing through town, Hudson and I headed to Ohio. Hudson was a dream traveler! And, although the circumstances were very sad, it was so nice to get to Ohio and see my parents, all my sisters, my brother and my two nieces (I love my nieces to pieces!)

all three baby cousins...olivia, blair and hudson
grandpa and blair
four generations once
hudson and kim
olivia and blair. apparently olivia likes to suck on her own toes, and she thought she would give blair's toes a try. the most hysterical part was that blair sat completely still and let olivia do it!
four generations twice
dean, dean and kim dean

Every one of my cousins was there for the funeral and it was really good to see and catch up with them. It had been ages since I had seen many of them! It was nice to be able to share stories and memories of Grandma with all of our cousins and aunts and uncles and to celebrate her life. She will be dearly missed.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Reese is such a crack up! I need to hang out with her again and get my yearly dose (and you too)

I have a feeling Hudson is going to give those baby girls a run for their money once he grows a bit. Love that there is a grandson in the mix now!

ruth said...

wow what a GREAT post!! I mean the circumstances were terrible, but from what granny told us she was pretty miserable and shes in a much better place :) LOVE those three cousins!!! hopefully you guys can make it out to utah and all our cute babies can play together... also that sucking on the toes thing is HILARIOUS. glad you were able to make the trip!

Jessica F. said...

I'm glad you went too! Everyone needed to see you and Hudson.

Lauren said...

missing y'all already. little baby dreamboat and you!

Jessica said...

I am sorry about your grandmother passing away, but glad you got to see your family. And they got to meet baby Hudson. Hudson is adorable and looks like he is twice the size of Mary Jane. Can't wait for the two love birds to meet!

Toronto's said...

Hudson is such a little heart throb! I just may have to have a little girl next so we can set them up. Reese is such a big girl, she seems so old and mature and oh so cute. I miss you and hope you are doing well.

alma and nicole smith said...

congrats on your new little bundle taryn!! he is so cute and i love the name!! hope adjustment is getting easier. going from 1 to 2 was harder than 2 to 3 for me :)

Lindsey from The R House said...

Sad about your Grandma, T. :( That's so hard.

I also wanted to say that Hudson looks SO much like Michael in that first photo! I love his part!

Miss you guys too much!