Thursday, December 07, 2006

Toasted Ravioli

Over the Thanksgiving break, not only was I allowed to run away with the menu for our Thanksgiving Feast, but my mom also let me plan the menu for Lauren and Ben's Open House in Monty. I guess my mom considers these good exercises for me, as I hope to one day open my own catering business. To minimize the need for forks and knives, we thought it would be best to plan a menu of mostly finger-friendly food. The final menu consisted of the following:

Lox and Cream Cheese stuffed Cucumbers
Pizzettes with Carmelized Onions, Goat Cheese, and Prosciutto
Chicken Meatballs with Sundried Tomatoes and Basil
Toasted Ravioli with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Mushroom Lover's French Bread Pizza
Chocolate Hazelnut Tart
Pumpking Cake with Whipped Cream and Pecan Praline (yes, leftover from Thanksgiving...10 of us, and we could hardly make a dent in that thing!)

I had a little trouble trying to keep the hot things hot, so that is something I will have to work on for the next time, but I would say for the most part, it was a success!

My dear, sweet husband couldn't get enough of the toasted ravioli, and especially the sauce that went with it--and was kind enough to tell me how much he loved it with each bite!--, so I thought I would share that recipe with you all. I know if it were up to Mike, we would eat that every other night!

Here's what you'll need:

2 eggs
Splash of milk or half-and-half
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
12 large fresh spinach and cheese ravioli, about 3/4 pound (or whatever kind you like)
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Pinch red pepper flakes
2 roasted red peppers, drained
1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes

Beat eggs and a splash of milk in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. Combine bread crumbs with cheese and parsley in a second dish. Coat the fresh pasta in egg then bread crumbs. Heat 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat in a skillet then toast the ravioli until deep golden, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.

In a small sauce pot heat the remaining extra-virgin olive oil and the garlic and red pepper flakes over medium low heat. Grind the roasted peppers in the food processor and add to garlic after it sautes for a couple of minutes. Stir in tomatoes and season the sauce with salt and pepper.

When ready to serve, transfer sauce to a small bowl. Surround the sauce with toasted ravioli for dipping and serve.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

You are going to be a caterer? I can see it, cool stuff. I still think you should aim for food critic at a newspaper. But then, outside of Utah, that job involves a lot of wine tasting- not really your thing.

Don't you love when you husband is crazy for something you make?