Tuesday, January 09, 2007

National Zoo

Last Saturday, Mike and I were looking forward to enjoying his last day of freedom before starting his second semester of law school. With the 70 degree weather that we were also enjoying over the weekend, we decided to go to the National Zoo for the afternoon. I have wanted to go to the zoo to see the baby Panda since he was born two summers ago. And, believe me, he didn't disappoint!



How cute is this panda bear?! There was a huge crowd of people watching his every move and he was completely playing to the crowd! Rolling around, scratching, chomping on bamboo, looking at us upside down...he couldn't have been cuter if they were paying him!

Another of my favorite animals were the California Sea Lions. Ever since I had a season pass to Sea World when I was 4 years old, I have loved watching these playful creatures...maybe it was because of the personality they appeared to have during their daily shows with the Sea World trainers (they even use the microphones!). But the funniest part was the 8-year-old standing next to us, giving the complete play-by-play of their every move. "Here they come...here they are...they're so playful!...oh, here comes the larger female...hurling through the water..." Oh, man, Mike and I were dying!

But, probably the biggest surprise came from the gorillas. There were at least 8 or 9 gorillas in their compound and the one that was closest to where Mike and I were standing gave us quite a show. She walked along a log and stopped at the very end, which was about 2 feet off the ground. Then this gorilla squats and starts peeing...ok, not so bad...but then, she stands up a little straighter, puts her hand between her legs to catch her pee, and then...wait for it...takes her hand to her mouth and DRINKS IT! AHH! I screamed--I was certainly not expecting to see anything like that.

It was a pretty great day...pee-drinking gorillas and all...and we couldn't have asked for a nicer day (in January, no less!) to enjoy our afternoon in the outdoors!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

That is gross about the gorilla. I forget how gross animals are. but they are still cute- especially the panda bear! Sounds like a really fun activity, I haven't been to a zoo in forever!

blythe said...

How cute is that panda bear!? I use to collect panda bears when I was little. The gorilla story was a little too vivid. Sounds like fun, we love going to the zoo!

Lauren said...

Did you wear the San Diego Zoo shirt that Granny gave us when we were five? That would've been cool. :)

that's funny about the little boy genius...how old were we when we started using words like 'hurling' :)

Lindsey from The R House said...

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!! that is hysterical. josh and i were dying. i had to read it like three times out loud to make sure that i got the full impact of the print.