Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Village

If you liked the Fat Santa cookies, you will LOVE this gingerbread village!





I saw this train cake cake pan in the Williams Sonoma catalog over Thanksgiving and had been thinking about getting it for weeks and weeks. A couple days before Christmas, I finally decided I had to have it! My mother in law, Gaye, bought some goodies to make gingerbread houses and I thought it would be fun to make an entire village with all of the goodies (I also planned on little gingerbread men, but they couldn't make it).

I knew it was a sign of good things to come when each of the 9 train cars miraculously came out of the pan in tact! Last Friday, after letting the cakes dry out for a few days, each of the Wheatleys/Redferns got to decorate his or her own train car. When the cars were finished, Mike's sister Lindsey and I decided we should keep going and put the entire village together that night....the next thing we knew, it was 4am and we were just starting clean up! I don't know if I've ever had so much fun in my life!




This is going to be a Wheatley family Christmas tradition for YEARS to come!

7 comments:

blythe said...

How cute! Tar, you are so domestic and so creative. I admire you!

Heidi said...

How cute! I love it and it is great that your darling personality is helping the Wheatley family make new traditions. How many days did it stay up?

niki said...

You are positively unreal and continue to amaze me!

Lindsey from The R House said...

t--the village is the pride of my holiday. may it continue to stand until the kitchen granite is torn out! i can still smell the coconut snow!

Lauren said...

I want to reach in the computer screen and pick off some candy from the caboose. I especially love the gummi bears waiting at the bus stop. You are unbelieveable. (now I'm going back to my blog to take off the gingerbread house I used to be proud of...)
JOB WELL DONE! Think of what we could create on Mom's kitchen island next year. Next time I see you we'll begin constructing a blueprint.

taryn said...

You guys are too nice. Heid, as far as I know, the village still stands. Gaye says she is keeping it there until it is time to demo the kitchen (sometime later this month or early FEB). And, while we may do this again in two years with the Wheatleys/Redferns, I really meant it will be a Mike and Taryn Wheatley family tradition...hee hee.

Also, I should say that nearly all of the artistic creativity comes from Lindsey Redfern...I was doing everything I could to keep up with her! (I am proud of my little ice skating rink, though! That was me.)

Lauren, I am already thinking about the Stimpson/Wheatley/Oviatt Christmas of 2008! We will have to combine my new traditions with the contests mom started this year! I can't wait! Mike and I already decided to go to Monty for the whole George Mason holiday, which was three weeks this year...guess that means we get the casita!

Bobbi said...

Taryn, That village is really clever. You inspire me! I love nights when I get carried away with a project and the time flies by unnoticed becuase I am having so much fun. Congrats on your cute creation!