Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Busy Work Week

I've been taking an extended vacation from my job this summer while we have been out west, but I did actually have a couple catering gigs last week to keep my busy. First, I helped with the food for a fundraiser for the hospital--my first paying job in months! It wasn't so much cooking that I was asked to help with, but more in a food presentation and maintenance capacity. The host, a neighbor and friend of my parents, asked me to make sure the food looked pretty and the trays stayed full. Not too stressful, but still a good experience.

The bigger project was a wedding reception for 200 guests that I was asked to cater. My mom volunteered my services to a family in her ward when she heard that they were planning to serve just the wedding cake to the guests. She thought I might be able to offer some other options and knew I would be up to the challenge. I compiled a list of the menu items I could offer and sent the three-page document to the bride to review. She came back with 7 or 8 items and I went to work!

The menu consisted of the following:

WATERMELON AND CANTALOUPE SALAD with a Honey Vanilla Dressing
TURKEY AND SMOKED GOUDA on a mini dinner roll
ITALIAN CHICKEN SALAD on Croissants
MARINATED ROMA TOMATOES, FRESH MOZZARELLA, AND BASIL served with Bruschetta
COLORFUL VEGETABLE PRESENTATION with an Herb Dip
CHICKEN AND ARTICHOKE DIP with Gourmet Crackers
CHOCOLATE FLOWING FOUNTAIN with fruit and assorted baked goods

The biggest party I have catered to date was for about 60 people, so my biggest challenge was to figure out how much food we needed for 200 guests. After two days of working around the clock preparing all the food, my sous chef (and momma) and I loaded the car with all the food and serving equipment and headed to the reception site. (When I get some serious start up capital for my catering business, my first purchase will be a refrigerated truck! hee hee) The food was a raving success!...or so I was told. I didn't actually get to see people eating the food, since I spent the entire party in the kitchen prepping additional trays to go out. It was an exhausting day, but it was a very valuable experience for me and a very gratifying day of work.


Now I just need to think of a name to go on the business cards. Any suggestions?

9 comments:

Granum Family said...

wow! i'm so impressed!!!! i can't imagine how much preparation that all took but it all looks amazing and yummy :)

Jessica said...

That is so cool that you got to do this. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Taryn! You are amazing!! I love that you are getting these opportunities. The food looks delish and the menu sounds divine. I am so impressed!

Heidi said...

Hurray for my favorite caterer! Wish I could eat some of that stuff you made, sounds delish.

I think you should call your business T-cakes!

Morgan said...

Taryn~ I don't know if you remember me, I am Morgan Olson, Tessa is living with me right now. I am good friends with Katie Rynearson, and have to admit that i check in on yours and Laurens blogs every once in a while. Anyway...your food sounds and looks amazing. I am a huge fan of the show Hell's Kitchen, and reading your post made me think of it. You should totally be on that show, the winner gets their own restaurant and the most amazing experience working with Chef Ramsey. You should check it out if you have never seen it. The finale is this coming Monday on Fox at 8pm (at least in UT) Ok, sorry my comment was so long, but you are just so talented, I'm amazed!!

Jamie said...

I just think it is the greatest thing that you're pursuing your passion. The food looks amazing--great appearance,too. P.S. Visit us anytime!

KKKTMSHELBY said...

"For the Love" of food. (by the way, I am a friend of Linds) ... i have no idea if you are starting a business ... it's just the first thing to pop in my mind. looks yummy! (and fun)

mattnbeth said...

the food looks yummy! im impressed and jealous. can i hire you to be my cook :)

blythe said...

What a pro you are becoming. I too wish I could taste your yummy creations!