Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My Brother, the Hero


Last Wednesday, my 15-year-old brother, Dean, returned from a condensed semester at Cambridge University. After scoring incredibly high on the ACT, as a freshman, Dean was invited to participate in a study abroad type program at Cambridge for three and a half weeks. Dean chose to take Quantum Physics and Archaeology while he was there. Are you kidding me?! Apparently on the first day of Quantum Physics, Dean's teacher told the class that none of them would ever probably understand it..."no one really does," she said. In a letter home, Dean said he thought he was starting to get the hang of it, but decided to keep that to himself. When I asked him what kinds of things he learned in Quantum Physics, his answer was pretty much over my head--he talked about electrons, which I got; but after that, he lost me. (And I did take Physics! Dean hasn't even had a physics class yet. Show off.)

Dean had the time of his life in England! And, he was sweet enough to remember those of us back home...he brought all kinds of goodies back for us, including my favorite, HobNobs!

6 comments:

Heidi said...

That lucky kid! nice of him to bring you some treats, I am surprised you didn't go pick him up from England ;-)

mattnbeth said...

cant believe hes that old and is taking those classes! what a smarty. i love the pic. so cute of him and your mom.

blythe said...

Did he graduate from high school already? Crazy! Sounds like an amazing opportunity for him!

Lindsey said...

What a smart kid! That's so fun for him to experience England. I hope he liked it!

Lauren said...

He had more than a good time - he's crazy. What a mush.

Lauren said...

PS - it's not right that he's been abroad and I haven't. Boo that.