Thursday, February 19, 2009

Birthday Girl

Our baby girl turned one over the weekend! I can't believe how fast time flies. The poor thing had a fever for much of the weekend, but she perked right up when it was party time.

When we put her cake in front of her, Reese wasn't quite sure what she was supposed to do, but she did seem to love the "sprinkles"!

here Reese is carefully picking off the sprinkles and Jack is patiently waiting for Reese to share



Here is a shot of the spread. My mom and I had a fabulous weekend preparing for the party! We made lots of sugar cookies--one bunch with a valentine sugar cookie pan and one bunch of chocolate sugar cookies with a crown cookie cutter. My favorite part was decorating the cookies. My mom and I cracked up as we used the "dam and flood" technique of frosting the valentine cookies. My mom kept cracking jokes, like "I feel like a sixth grader!" (we were making a mess!) while I tried to keep a steady hand with my own cookies. Note: It is not easy to frost cookies while you are shaking with laughter. We also had snackie skewers for the kiddies: angel food cake with berries, rice krispie treats with apple slices, strawberries with chocolate drizzled marshmallows, and bananas covered in sprinkles.


These were my favorite part! Some of the crowns look a little rough, but they were so fun to frost!
Reese woke up the next day feeling much better. And when she saw a cupcake that had been left out from the day before, she had to have it. This cupcake was a slightly more manageable size for Reese, but again, all she wanted to do was pick off the sprinkles! I was hoping she might stuff it in her face, but she is a pretty neat eater, so no such luck.This looks like one happy birthday girl, on her first full day as a one-year-old!

14 comments:

blythe said...

i can't believe reese is already one! that flew by! i love your cute cookies and decorations.

Heidi said...

Crazy she is one! I love her cupcake pajamas- where did you get those? They are perfect (I think you need a pair- do they come in adult size?) ;-). That spread of treats looks delicious and that is quite the huge cupcake! Happy birthday to Reese!

Lyns said...

Happy Birthday! I can't believe she's already one! She is SUCH a doll. You did a GREAT job with the party! You and your mom are so darn creative. :)

Lyns said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren said...

"dam and flood"? I am frosting illiterate obviously. I'm glad you posted all of these pictures. What a GIANT cupcake. it makes Reese look even tinier! :)

Fabulous looking table-scape. I wish I could have been there laughing with you and mom.

Ashly said...

she is such a cutie..and of course the spread looks amazing! such cute cookies too!

Granum Family said...

Happy Birthday Reese! What a fun party. She's adorable!

Jessica F. said...

Such a sweet girl!!!

Jessica said...

It was such a fun party! I can't believe she is already one! She is such a cutie!

Tracy and Odie said...

oh i loved this post! you are amazing making treats. those princess ones are so cute!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous birthday for a fabulous girl!

P.S. I LOVE the giant cupcake!

tara said...

wow what a party! yumm I am loving all the treats! what a cute idea. I guess sprinkles only is the key to a good diet! happy birthday reese!!

Cardon & Whitney said...

That party was a hit!! and the goodies....AMAZING. They almost looked too pretty to eat. OF COURSE Reese was the cutest little birthday girl I have EVER seen!

Toronto's said...

Way to darn cute and creative. I love the Big cupcake mold.