Monday, August 17, 2009

B-17 Bomber

My camera was on the fritz for a few weeks this summer, which was inconveniently during our trip to Montana. But, I finally got all the pictures from all the cameras on this trip and wanted to post one of the most fun things we got to do on our trip!

While we were in Kalispell, a B-17 Bomber plane from World War II was at the Glacier Park International Airport for people to come and see. $5 to walk around the plane, and a little bit more to be taken up in the air. Well, my dad loves planes and thought taking a ride in the B-17 would be an experience that we would not get to have again, and we shouldn't pass it up. And he was right, it was an incredible experience!

Before we took off, the pilot and engineers gave us a brief safety tutorial--"do not touch this, watch your head when you walk around, don't pull on these, it is normal to see smoke when the propellers get going, etc." Lauren, Ben and I got to sit in the cargo seats in the back of the plane for takeoff and it was crazy! There was an engineer sitting with us who had to monitor the engines and propellers from the windows on each side of the back of the plane.

After we were up in the air we had the chance to roam around the plane. I admit, I got a teeny bit airsick at one point--the plane was not pressurized and there were some interesting smells and smoke during the flight. We flew over the Flathead Valley down to Lake Blaine and back. It was the most incredible view from the air and we had such a blast!


Lauren is sending coded messages to the troops on the ground.
As we were up in the air, and I am looking out the window, holding the machine gun, I honestly could not believe I was getting to do this! I could not stop smiling! Can you tell?


My dad and Tessa got to sit in the two seats in the very front for takeoff and Duffy and I got the seats for the landing! The view was unbelievable...just some plexiglass separating us from the outside...and there was a small circular window open, so we could feel the wind as we landed. It seriously felt like I was flying...I mean, by myself, with my own wings.



Reese got a peak on the plane before she an MommaCat watched us from the ground. Thank you, MommaCat!

No comments: