Monday, November 16, 2009

granola bars

I was looking for a new recipe to make for my class of Young Women at church two weeks ago and remembered seeing Giada making this recipe for peanut butter granola bars the day before.  I had everything they called for on hand and they sounded so good, that I just had to try them.  I asked Michael to sample some of the batter before I baked it and he said it reminded him of no bake cookies (a compliment, to him!).  But, because they were for my girls, I didn't let him cut a piece of the bars before class.  Our numbers are generally small, so I figured there would be plenty after class for him to sample.  But, these granola bars turned out to be such a hit, that the girls in class (about 4 total) licked the pan clean!  So, I did what any good wife would do...I made another batch when we got home.  Two batches in one day--I think that speaks to how delicious this recipe really is!  Try it!

Here's what you'll need:
1 egg white
1/2 cup peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a 7 by 10 3/4-inch nonstick baking pan with vegetable cooking spray. Lay a 6 by 18-inch piece of parchment paper in the pan, allowing the excess paper to hang over the sides. Spray the parchment paper lightly with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, beat the egg white until frothy. Stir in the peanut butter, brown sugar, and honey. Add the melted butter, oats and almonds. Stir to combine, then add the chocolate chips.  (I also added some Reese's Pieces...a delicious addition, if I do say so myself!)

Using a rubber spatula, spread mixture into the prepared baking pan, pressing lightly to form an even layer. Bake until the edge of the mixture begins to brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 1 hour. Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares and serve.

**Note: Maybe I used the wrong size pan, but I had to cook my granola bars each time for at least an extra 15 minutes or so.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I am pretty sure I saw this episode- did she make it for some kids before they all made mac and cheese cupcakes together? Yum!

Jessica F. said...

YUMMY!

Tracy and Odie said...

can i just pay you to make some for me? :)