Tuesday, August 09, 2011

monty 2011: part one

One of the things I look forward to most about summertime is our annual trip to Montana for the 4th of July. And with the addition of three babies since last summer, I knew this summer would be extra special! We had the entire family together for the extended holiday weekend and we knew we would have to pack in as much fun as possible.

family tubbie time

My mom scheduled a full day of outdoor activities for us at the Whitefish Mountain Resort, including the zip lines and a Walk in the Treetops, and then volunteered to stay back to watch the babies. That's just the way she is. ;) It was such a fun day and the weather was perfect! And let me just say, these zip lines were no joke! We did a series of 6 zips--two shorter, practice rounds, and four more serious zips. After the practice round, the first real zip line that we rode was 1900 feet long and 300 feet high!
Michael and I raced a few times before we split up the teams between spouses. He schooled me every time! I was right there with him, I thought I had him, and at the end he just pulled ahead like it was nothing. How does he do that?!
This is the starfish pose...to help us slow down. Cute, right?

This zip was only 1500' long and 200' high. I think I really almost kicked the top of one of the trees on the ride!
After the zip lines, we took a quick snack break with the kids and then headed off again to have a Walk in the Tree tops. We took a nature hike up to the elevated boardwalks and then walked on the boardwalks through the treetop canopy. The views were amazing!

It wouldn't be the 4th of July without the annual Ward breakfast! Aren't these little girls so darling in their matching dresses?

Michael blessed Hudson at my parent's house after church that Sunday. It was so special to have my whole family there and to have my Dad, brother and brothers-in-law able to participate.
(Reese stayed home from Church that day because she was a bit under the weather, which is why she looks a little disheveled.)

We spent a lot of time at Lake Blaine, swimming, boating and enjoying the beautiful weather. Reese had even more confidence in her life jacket after taking swimming lessons this summer. She thought it was pretty neat that she didn't even have to get her face or hair wet if she didn't want to.
We enjoyed many a family dinner outside on the patio, followed by s'mores around the fire pit. My family is serious about their s'mores. Everyone has their own recipe, and my dad is the best marshmallow roaster I have ever seen! My new fave is a perfectly roasted 'mallow sandwiched between two Nature Valley granola Thins. Just enough chocolate for me, and melts on contact with the marshmallow. So delicious!

Trying to go anywhere with the whole group (or at least the four kids) took three times longer than normal. Lauren and I were usually smooshed in the way back with Reese's car seat between us. Good times.
This is pretty much how we ended each day, completely wiped from all the fun. Poor little dear is all tuckered out!

No comments: