Sunday, February 18, 2007

Black Bottom Cupcakes

I'm not sure exactly what my deal is, but I have had a serious sweet tooth lately! Maybe I always have a sweet tooth, and I just don't indulge very often. But, to celebrate Valentine's Day this past week, I went a little choclate crazy in the name of love and haven't quite gotten my will power back completely. Anyway, tonight I made these yummy, yummy treats and they were fantastic! They are a little bit like molten chocolate cakes, but in the shape of a cupcake with a cream cheese gooey center. If you like chocolate, you should try these as soon as possible!

Here's what you need:

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
2 1/2 cups sugar
Salt
1 large egg
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper or foil baking cups. Using an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Add the egg and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, the baking soda and cocoa powder. Add 1 1/2 cups water, the oil, vinegar and vanilla and stir until smooth.

Fill each baking cup two-thirds full with the cake batter and top with 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture. Bake until the edges are firm to the touch, about 25 minutes.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Heidi said...

These are making my mouth water!! Ben won't like them since they have cream cheese, I will have to make them next Sunday for our Sunday School class! I can hardly wait.

blythe said...

Yummy! I will definitely have to try this out!

Granum Family said...

Hey Taryn! So I've been reading your blog off of Lauren's links and thought I'd say hi! I love all your recipe posts and fun D.C. adventures. Isn't living in a big city so much fun???

Kelly said...

Hi Taryn!! It's Kelly Sperry and I have found the freshman year blogs so I am excited to see what everyone is up to. This recipe looks super good--I will have to try it. Keep the recipes coming!

taryn said...

Heid--let me know how you like them!

Hi, Kelli--I found your blog from Lauren too and now check it regularly! Yes, big city living is so much fun, though your big city is a little bit bigger than mine. ;)

Kelly--thanks for sending those cute Valentine pictures! they are so darling! do you have a blog?

beth--call me!

Kelly said...

Yes--it is thesperryfamily

Anonymous said...

Isn't this from the Rachael Ray site??