Sunday, February 25, 2007



This week, while I was at Wegman's Super Market, I was surprised to find an extensive display of Easter candy (I mean, it was only the middle of February!)... shelves and shelves of Peeps, chocolate bunnies, Snickers' eggs, Butterfinger eggs, M & Ms in Easter pastels, Reese's peanut butter eggs, jelly beans, and Whopper eggs. There were egg-dying kits, bowls that looked like decorated eggs, and baskets full of plastic grass and plastic eggs. But what made me most excited for the coming East Holiday were the sugar cookies, cookie cutters in the shape of bunnies and easter eggs, pastel sprinkles, and pre-assembled kits that contained all of the above!

I know it's a little ridiculous that all of these things are on display before February is even over...much less before St. Patrick's Day has come and gone...but I love Easter, so I was thrilled! I think of all the special holiday candy, Easter candy is my absolute favorite! There is something about a Snickers bar in the shape of an Easter egg that tastes so much better to me than a normal Snickers bar...something about a Reese's egg that I like so much more than a normal Reese's Peanut Butter cup. I'm sure this has a lot to do with the memories I associate with all of these novelties. For example, Peeps will always remind me of when my twin sister Lauren and I would roast them over a candle in our bedroom. And Reese's eggs will always make me think of my roommate Heidi. So, I will always love these both!



I fully intend to make a Wheatley family tradition of decorating sugar cookies in Easter shapes and dying hard boiled eggs. That was always such a fun part of Easter for me when I was little and I can't wait to carry on the tradition with my own little ones someday.

6 comments:

blythe said...

I love Easter candy too! I definitely agree that Reese's eggs are a whole lot better than the regular stuff. You will have to post pictures of your finished decorated cookies!

Lindsey from The R House said...

let me know when you are dying eggs! i would love to be a part of that. you shold try the cadbury chocolate eggs ...not the ones with the strange custard yoke, the smaller ones. incredible! let me know if you can't them and i will overnight them to you. yes, they are that good. (love the peep photo. did you know your mother-in-law is OBSESSED?)

Heidi said...

HURRAY Reese's egss are my favorite candy in the world!!! I am glad they remind you of me ;-). I even wrote a blog about them last Easter. I am excited to see any sugar cookie creations you come up with this year.

taryn said...

Yes, Lindsey, I did know that Gaye is OBSESSED, but she is being so good on her diet that I think she would kill me if I brought any into her home! (It was all I could do to fight the urge to get them for her!)

Beth, it feels like time that winter should be over...but with the weather that we have been getting as of late, it seems like we are nowhere near the spring!

Lauren said...

I once told Ben about our 'peep roasting' and he gave me the weirdest face... a combination of "you're weird, how gross, (and) I can't belive you like those, I didn't know that before I decided to marry you?!?!"
So - needless to say it won't be the same without you!

Kelly Dowling Stimpson said...

You and Lauren roasted peeps over candles in you BEDROOM? Where in the world was your mother or a responsible adult?
Reminds me of the time we all had to evacuate because Lindsey set off the alarm by burning candles in her bedroom. Didn't that bring about the "no burning candles in your rooms" rule, or am I just hallucinating?