Saturday, February 10, 2007

My Latest Obsession

Ever since my favorite morning show on DC's HOT 99.5 FM got canned, I've had a hard time finding the same kind of stimulating entertainment on my morning commute. The replacement to the HOT MORNING MESS is a guy named Kane--not funny, not entertaining, but usually quite annoying and frequently crass. The morning shows on the other radio stations aren't any better. I got some relief for the six weeks or so that I listened to a non-stop loop of my 6 favorite Christmas CDs...Celine Dion, N'Sync (silly, I know, but still fun!), Jewel, and a few mixes. But, once the holidays were over, I was dreading going back to the radio. (You are probably wondering why I don't just listen to my other CDs...a valid question. The thing is, I listen to my ipod all day at work, so I essentially listen to my CDs all day long. And I wanted a break, I guess. Plus, I don't want to have to do anything: flip stations, skip tracks, or change CDs to find a song I want to listen to.)

Shortly after Christmas, I also finally got around to getting a library card to the Arlington library that is less than a block away from my apartment. I happened to mosey over to the books-on-tape section and was thrilled to find a few titles I recognized! It's not a huge selection, mind you, and there aren't many new releases; but it is definitely workable. I am on my third book-on-tape and I have become completely obsessed! I almost can't wait to go to work in the mornings just to listen to what happens next! As soon as I finish one book, I rush back to the library for a new one. It's addictive, really. I will say, some narrators have more pleasant voices than others; and, of course, some "character voices" that the narrators use for characters of the opposite sex take a little getting used to. But all in all, I am so happy to be enjoying my 40-minute commute once again!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

What books have you listened to so far? My commute is only about ten minutes so books on tape would take me like months to finish. tee hee. But I do looove them for road trips.

blythe said...

Great idea. We usually listen to books on tape while driving down to St. George. I didn't realize your commute was so long. Have you heard about the job that is closer to you?

taryn said...

Heid--So far I've listened to "Sweet Potato Queen's Book of Love", "The Undomestic Goddess" and I'm almost finished with "The Ivy Chronicles". All pretty entertaining, I must say.

Blythe--I haven't heard anything new about working closer to where I live. It would actually be the same job, just an offsite location for a few months while we close a new complex of condos. I think it will depend more on Mike's summer job...if he gets a job in this area, then I'll do it for sure; if he gets a job elsewhere, then I may not be here when those condos are ready to close. we'll see.

Lauren said...

Yeah, well. My commute is 30 seconds, if the lights are all green. Which pretty much is great but I'm also really late all the time. As far as books on tape go, I pretty much am the worst. I got a library card JUST to get books on tape for our New Year's drive to Montana - and didn't listen (in entirety) to any of the 5 that I checked out.
One of them was Kiss the Girls by James Patterson, containing some of the most demeaning (to women) and grotesque language I've ever heard. That didn't last very long in the tape deck.
The other book we gave a shot was a few of Truman G. Madsen's discourses. They were fantastic and I have to say it's probably the reason we were 'spared' as we slid off the freeway.

You should get XM.