Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Fenway or Bust!


Back in the spring, when some friends (and Orioles fans) asked me if I could get my hands on some tickets for the Red Sox/Orioles series in Boston over Labor Day weekend, I decided that Mike and I would meet them in town for the game. (I'm not usually one to miss out on all the fun, at least not if I can avoid it.) On Friday night, Mike and I flew up to Boston to kick off our Labor Day weekend--our last weekend of freedom before Mike gets back into the swing of law school. On Saturday morning, my uncle Mike and cousin took (my) Mike golfing. After they got back, we had some lunch and then (uncle) Mike took us down to the Channel 5 station, where he is a the principal sports reporter for WCVB, to give us a tour of their brand-new, state-of-the-art HD set. It was pretty awesome...Mike gave us the inside scoop on how all the components work together to create a successful newscast. I had no idea how much went into what looks like a simple, seemless news broadcast!

Later that evening, Cameron, Anthony, Char and Kristin picked us up to go to the Red Sox game. Mike (back to my husband) had never been to Fenway Park before, so he was pretty excited about visiting such a historic ballpark. Little did he know, there was going to be a lot more for him to be excited about by the end of the night. The Red Sox played a great game, ultimately beating the Orioles 10-0. I wouldn't been satisfied with just the win...but rookie pitcher Clay Buchholz had other plans. In his second Major League start, Buchholz pitched the 11th no-hitter in Red Sox history at Fenway. The excitement and tension was palpable in the ninth inning as the entire stadium stood, cheering every pitch.


Here Jason Varitek, the catcher for the Red Sox, hoists pitcher Clay Buchholz after the final pitch of his first no-hitter as teammates start clearing the bench to congratulate the 23-year-old rookie. He is just the 21st rookie to throw a no-hitter, and the third to pitch one in one of his first two starts.

As we walked to the car, and even as we waited in an hour of post-game traffic, we were all on cloud 9, still not believing that we were actually at a no-hitter! What an unbelievable night!

8 comments:

Granum Family said...

Fenway park is so fun! What an awesome game to watch!!!

Lauren said...

I "con't belieeeve" you were there. We were watching ESPN that night and I thought, "I hope Taryn was at THAT game and not another that weekend..." and you were! :)

Heidi said...

Ben is dying to go to Fenway Park as well- he has a goal to hit every baseball stadium in the states and is more than halfway there.

That sounds like a way exciting night to be at the game!

blythe said...

I can't believe that we just barely missed eachother! I'm glad you had a fun weekend though. Cute pic of you guys at the game!

Jamie said...

Dan will absolutely die when he hears you guys were at that game! We were on a date and his eyes were glued to the TV in the corner of the restaurant. Wow lucky you! P.S. How the baking business going? I still want you to post that darling multi-colored cookie mix on my website. If you get the chance click on "submit" at www.go-togirls.com. BYE!

mattnbeth said...

fun that you went to boston for the weekend. matt and i really need to take advantage of all the things to do out here once zoie gets better. i love the pic of you. you look gorgeous!

Lindsey from The R House said...

i can just see md freaking out with joy--tapping his head, mouth wide open, saying "oh my gosh" over and over ...and over.

alma and nicole smith said...

thats awesome!! ever since i saw fever pitch, i have wanted to become a die-hard fan of the red sox...plus i was born there, so i have the blood :) what an exciting game to be at! hopefully we can get out there one of these days!