Tuesday, September 23, 2008

the nerve of some people!

I've got lots of picture to post from our trip to San Diego for my sister's wedding, but before I have time to get to that, I had to tell a story from our travels.

I always stress out a little when I travel with Reese--not because she is not a good baby, but because it's a long time to expect a newly-mobile baby to sit still and be quiet. We flew direct to and from San Diego because I figured it was the lesser of two evils--either you go direct and have one really long flight; or you have a layover, have to move all of your gear on and off planes, and have one extremely long day with twice as many opportunities for ear-popping pain for the little one.

On the way to San Diego, Reese and I sat by a very kind, older couple who had just spent a week with their own grandchildren. The lady even offered to hold my drink on her tray table so that Reese would not knock it over and poured it into my glass from the can whenever it got low. And for the ten minutes or so that Reese screamed (on a 5.5 hour flight, that's pretty good), I heard the man lean over to his wife and say, "Poor baby is so tired," or something like that, rather than "Geez, I wish that mother would shut her baby up!"

When we boarded the plane to go home, I found that we were again seated by an older couple and hoped for the same kindness and understanding. But, when I told them we had the window seat, they both looked a little put out that I was asking them to get up. Maybe I was imagining it. As I sat down, and started to get all my stuff organized, I suddenly smelled a very yucky diaper. Can you believe that I actually thought for one split second how bad it would be if I waited until we were in the air to change her diaper, so as not to inconvenience this couple? But I quickly realized that if I could smell the foul diaper (with my sub-par olfactory sense), then it must be really bad and I better change it as soon as possible. I grabbed a diaper and a travel pack of wipes and said to the woman next to me, "I'm really sorry, but I have to go change her diaper really fast." She looked at me straight-faced and said "Oh, Jesus!" (in the most annoyed tone of voice you can imagine) My jaw literally dropped open as I waited for her to laugh, hoping she was just being sarcastic; but then she said, in the same annoyed tone, "This is going to be pleasant." I could not believe what I was hearing. I asked her if she would like me to try to moves seats, not exactly sure what else to say...

As I walked to the back of the plane, I fought back tears wondering how in the world we were going to get through this flight. I asked the flight attendant if it would be possible for me to switch seats and she told me that they had over-sold the flight by 30 seats, so it would only be possible if I could find someone to switch with me. As I changed Reese's diaper, I silently prayed that Reese would be the best baby she has ever been, and not make a peep, and sleep the whole time, and make that lady eat her words. I knew that if Reese cried even for one minute, the lady would probably bite my head off and I would completely lose it. When I finished changing the diaper, I tried to compose myself and take some deep breaths before going back to my seat.

Reese whined for no more than 60 seconds when we were taking off before she fell asleep. She slept for over two hours and I don't have to tell you how sweet babies look when they are asleep! She woke up happy as can be with just under two hours left until we landed. I was so relieved that she got such a great nap and knew that at least should wouldn't cry because she was tired...I would just have to entertain her for two hours. And that is just what I did. When we had about 30 minutes left, Reese got hungry and fussed for a minute as I got my hooter-hider out (so impatient!). After she ate, she was completely content for the rest of the flight! Best baby ever! And the old grouch did eat her words--she apologized for being so "crabby" to me before and said what a good baby Reese was.

8 comments:

Lindsey from The R House said...

i hate that lady. i feel ya on fighting back the tears. been there!

i am so glad that the lady apologized. she needed to. but i still hope she sits on a tack.

a really sharp one.

way to go reese!!! (and mommy.)

blythe said...

You poor thing. I'm so glad that Reese had a good flight so you could show her!

Heidi said...

Okay I always dread these kind of people on my many flights with Max! I am so sorry you had to encounter one and she made you feel bad. Reese is a great baby to endure such a long flight! Can't wait to see wedding pics!

tara said...

reese is the perfect baby! way to come through! it helps that she has such a great mom. Looks like she will be quite the traveler too! I was watching a mom entertain 3 kids in the airport the other day and just totally amazed at how you guys do it!

Jamie said...

First of all, I am so sad we missed you guys! Can you believe we happened to be visiting the SD temple at the exact same time?! I desperately wanted to come out and see you and Baby Reese, but there was apparently a problem with my recommend that literally took a half hour to sort out. Slightly frustrating...

Not nearly as frustrating as that woman, however!! I have zero patience for those kind of people. I have made the six hour flight to NH with Bryson by myself and have felt similarly. I have committed to always choose Jet Blue because people are so tuned into their personal TVs that they don't notice a screaming baby nearly so much.

Way to hang in there.

Jessica F. said...

That lady is a big jerk!!!

Tessa said...

You rock Taryn! What a rude lady! Obviously she has not experience the joy of motherhood :) I wanted to punch her lights out when I was reading this - that would have helped her have a restful flight!

Scott and Katie said...

Honestly, some people are just ridiculous! Sorry you had to sit by her of all people, but I'm glad Reese was so good. People just don't understand how stressful it is to travel with babies. I'm excited to hear more about the wedding.