Thursday, March 15, 2007

Let the Madness Begin!

Well, the opening weekend of March Madness has arrived. Michael went to Utah to watch all the first-round games with his friends (many of whom also flew in from all over the country for the weekend), and would you believe I still watched the games last night? Ok, I say 'watched', but I admit, I was multitasking. I will say, though, I do feel a little better prepared for March Madness 2007. Although my parents have been having "Final Four" parties on the night of the championship game since I can remember, it wasn't until last year that I found out that March Madness was more than just the Final Four--that it was, in fact, weeks upon weeks of basketball games, back-to-back, and every single night! Ok, maybe that is an exaggeration, but you can imagine the rude awakening I experienced as my perception of March Madness changed from one of a super-fun party, hosted by my parents and full of yummy food, games and prizes, to an endless stream of basketball games played by teams I'd never seen and players I'd never heard of (that my husband actually wanted to watch!).

As fate would have it, George Mason made it to the Final Four last year, which gave me something to be exciting about in more ways that one, but by the championship game, I was so sick of basketball that I even slept through the last 3 quarters. oopsies.

As I approach March Madness 2007, the fact that I know what to expect, at the very least, allows me to have a better attitude than I did last year. Also, in an attempt to actually enjoy this annual event, I filled out my very own bracket! This could potentially have a negative effect, though, due to my competitive nature--even though I don't really care about many of the teams involved, I may get really mad if my picks don't do as I've predicted. And the way I picked my teams was less than conventional...for me, it was more about which school sounds more fun, or in which city I would rather live, than which team I think would win. (How should I know anyway? I haven't been watching many basketball games until now! I didn't want to get burned out on basketball before March Madness even began...duh.) Michael told me that our team this year is Georgetown, so I also have a team to root for this year (BYU didn't pull through for me). Maybe I will continue my parents' tradition of a party for the Championship Game this year--that way, even if I feel that I never want to see another basketball game in my life, I can always get excited to throw a party...the menu options for a Final Four party alone make me excited!

Here's to March Madness! Go Hoyas!

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Yeah being married to a sports fanatic was a rude awakening for me. Ben isn't that into basketball in general but of course when March Madness rolls around he knows every players name, coach name, stats, spends hours on the phone with his brothers filling out his bracket, etc. He always has loved Duke Basketball but they got out last night, so did the Cougars (as you know). Now we are rooting for the school we are actually at- GO WOLF PACK!

Lauren said...

Yeah, well, I was excited to tell Ben that I wanted my own bracket this year. And then, all of a sudden, the night is over and I hadn't done one. Boo!
The next day, exasperated, I told Ben I hadn't done mine, and worried that he hadn't submitted his either, I asked, "did you do yours??"

his answer: yah. (as in, yah, duh, of course)

of course. thanks for the concern, honey. As for me, I guess I'll have to wait another year.

blythe said...

I love March Madness, not as much as Vaughn, but I still love it. I filled out a bracket the last couple of years but didn't do mine in time this year. How long is Mike in Utah for? Do you have anything fun planned while he is gone?

taryn said...

Heid, that's fun that your hometown team is still in the tourney! I think it would've been awesome to be at George Mason last year when they had such an amazing run...but, that is ultimately a big part of this door opening for us, so I guess first things first.

Blythey--Mike is in Utah until tomorrow (Wed-Sun). I don't really have fun things planned...it's spring break at George Mason so most of our friends here either skipped town, or have out-of-town visitors. no biggie...I've just been reading my books and watching girly tv and movies. the time has gone pretty quickly.

sorry about the bracket, lally. maybe next year, huh?

Kelly said...

I'm not totally into basketball either but of course the hubbies have to watch. So I have found that filling out the brackets every year makes it more exciting to watch because I actually have a team to root for--and I usually do better than Mike in picking the right teams and he gets mad because he knows everything about basketball and I know nothing:)

Scott and Katie said...

It sounds like in the future we should all let our husbands get together some weekend in march while we all meet up for a "girls getaway". I don't have to tell anyone what a march madness fanatic my hubby is! We've been doing our brackets for a few years now... I won 2 years ago and Scott beat me last year, so I'd better win again! We always put a friendly wager on it too... adds a little excitement. I used to just fill it out like you, by what places sounded the funnest, but these days I get on ESPN and do some research and see who all the sports people are picking! Hope it works! It makes the bball throughout March more bearable! Go Ohio!

taryn said...

I didn't do a shred of research and my bracket is 1st place in the Wheatley family contest!--and that with a bunch of basketball-lovin boys! (That's the way to go--fill out the brackets online...that way, you know exactly who is winning...if I just filled one out on my own, I wouldn't have a clue. haha)