Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Nanny Diaries


I just finished my second go at The Nanny Diaries...this time on tape. The first time I read this book was on a trip to Cape Cod, at the recommendation of my sister Lindsey. I remember loving this book--not being able to put it down, even ignoring any onset of car sickness (usually from the backseat) as my family drove around the cape. At the time, I was working as a nanny for a couple families in my hometown and I remember being able to relate to some of the 'incidents' that Nan encounters--not that my employers were anywhere close to Mrs. X, but some of Grayer's comments and mannerisms were similar to those of the kids I got to play with everyday.

This time, as I listened to the book (in a much different place in my life than the last time), I felt a lot more sorry for Grayer than I did before. Poor kid. For one thing, every time Grayer runs to his mom for a hug, she "spatulas" him, Nanny recounts, so as not to get her designer outfits sticky or wrinkled. Sad. I don't get it--who wouldn't want a hug from an adoring 4 year old? I was also more impressed this time around with the patience Nan showed and the way she dealt with the tantrums of child who is all but ignored by his parents. Of course everything she does works to calm Grayer down before he completely explodes into a full-blown tantrum, which may or may not be so easy in real life.

The real reason I wanted to refresh myself on The Nanny Diaries is because it is being made into a movie that is scheduled to be released next month. I'm not a big fan of Scarlett Johansson, but hopefully her role as the lead character will not completely kill the movie for me. I'm going to keep and open mind. I'm excited to report back!

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Okay so I never read this book but I did listen to it on DVD. I too felt bad for the kid. I am so happy to not be part of that world of New York elite, seems like they have their priorities messed up (even if the book is fictional we know there is truth to it).

I didn't know you don't like Scarlett. I actually like her a lot and she is in Ben's top five hottest celebs. Just thought I would share. Have you ever seen A Good Woman? Love her in that.

Lindsey said...

I read this book too and just saw a preview for the movie. I'll definitely see it, but Scarlett bugs me too. I think her voice is really monotone too and I think that's partly the reason she bugs in movies.

Heid, I really didn't like A Good Woman. It's with Helen Hunt, right?

taryn said...

Heid, is this the first thing we have disagreed about? Yeah, I don't know what it is about her, but she just bugs me...her voice, facial expressions...I haven't seen A Good Woman, but maybe I should check it out. The last thing I saw her in was that movie with Hugh Jackman...I can't even remember the name right now, but it was AWFUL. Woody Allen produced it--go figure. I fully intend to see The Nanny Diaries, and I'll keep an open mind about her...we'll see.

Heidi said...

Yeah I hated that Woody Allen movie with her in it too. Scarlett could be the first thing we have ever disagreed on! tee hee

Scott and Katie said...

Tar, Would you believe I've had this book sitting on my shelf for a few years and have never opened it? You have inspired me to go read it though before the movie! Thanks!

taryn said...

Katie and Beth! You've got to read it...it's a pretty quick one. Sometimes I enjoy the movie more when I haven't read the book (usually because the book is better), but other times I like having read the book before the movie, just to compare. I don't know if you have feelings on the subject either way, but it is a pretty good book. (DO NOT, however, read the other book that these two others wrote...called Citizen Girl...it's awful!)