Friday, February 08, 2008

Thoughts at 39 weeks and 5 days...

Now is not a good time to tell me, "I never carried any of my babies that long." If you are lucky enough to deliver a couple weeks early, don't rub it in. I had two or three people tell me something like that last week. Luckily, I wasn't feeling horrible at the time, so it didn't bother me that much. However, if I were feeling as bad as I hear you can in the last few weeks, I wouldn't want to hear any bragging about delivering early--just a tip. If you come across someone at 39 weeks and 5 days pregnant, the best thing to do is just tell her how great she looks, even if you have to lie.

I was talking to my friend the other day and she asked me, "Can you believe that by this time next week you could have a baby?!" No, I can't. Not even close. I'm not exactly sure why...because my belly is huge, and my doctor tells me that I'm making progress when I go to my now weekly appointments, but somehow I still can't wrap my head around the concept that I am actually going to have a baby in less than a week and a half. (I'm due on Tuesday and my doc won't let me go longer than a week past due.) Should this worry me? When does it sink in?

I mean, if you ask me if I'm ready...I guess that depends. I've done all of Baby Girl's laundry--washed all her newborn clothes, blankets, burp clothes, etc. in the Dreft detergent that some doctors recommend, which I must say was pretty fun because now it all smells like a baby! I've got a car seat, which is the only thing the hospital requires you have before they let you take the baby home. I've got diapers, wipes, bottles, blankets, towels, washclothes, Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo (LOVE that smell!)...Michael and I got a new apartment, in which the baby gets her very own bedroom (today is actually moving day--isn't Baby Girl a doll for waiting until we are moved in before making her debut?!). Michael and I are going to take a tour of the maternity ward at the hospital this afternoon, so we will have a clue where to go and what to do when the time comes. And, lastly, my mom arrives tomorrow. So, yes, it would appear that we are technically ready for the baby to arrive. But, how do you actually get ready to have a baby? (Someone passing through our office one day at work said to me, "No one can prepare you for delivering a baby...nothing you read, nothing you hear..." I don't think she was trying to scare me...but she must be right. It's not like it's ever textbook. Anyway, if there is no way that I can really prepare for that...how can I ever feel ready for that?)

I've been having a few restless nights lately...I'll wake up a few times in the middle of the night and think to myself, "my water could break at any second...is that?...no, just have to pee." It's kinda like the anticipation you feel the night before Christmas morning...although all the excitement is also mixed with some anxiety, and a touch of scared-out-of-my-mind-but-isn't-it-great adrenaline.

So, there you go...these are the thoughts that go through my mind. Oh, yeah, and I also wonder how much hair she will have when she is born...whether it will be jet black, like her mom's was, or if it she will look bald with some blonde fuzz, like her dad had. Sometimes I think, "what if the doctor was wrong and the baby comes out a boy?" I try not to go there for long...what the heck would I do with all of the pink clothes and blankets I have?!

12 comments:

Lindsey from The R House said...

i am on pins and needles too! every time i hear the phone ring!!

we can't wait, but i know that is nothing compared to you and md.

i don't think anything but love can prepare you for being a mom. it just kind of kicks in and somehow you kind of know what to do ...and the rest you just ask your mom.

i hope you have an easy, fast, run-of-the-mill delivery with a gorgeous, healthy baby girl. i hope it is an amazing spiritual experience for you filled with awe.

...and i hope that md doesn't pass out!

that's what i am praying for this week.

we can't wait!!
good luck. i know you will be a star no matter what happens or when your water breaks.

Ash and Lace said...

tar, i can't believe it! i think of you everyday and wonder if today is the day. just know i love you and hope the best for you on that miracle of a day! you're amazing! good luck! love ya lace

Heidi said...

Tar I just got the chills reading this I am sooo excited for you- especially the part about the "anticipation of Christmas morning". Am I the friend you were talking to about "in less than a week?" Did you get all moved in today? CANNOT wait to click on your blog and see pics of her!!!!

Jessica F. said...

I love you! I am so excited for your baby to come too. You are going to be such a fabulous mother.

Jessica said...

I think you look absolutely fabulous! Hang in there...she is almost here! I am so exciting for you!

Scott and Katie said...

Tar, I've been thinking about you! I'm so excited for you to have your baby! She'll be beautiful like her mom! I can't wait to hear about everything and see the pictures. We'll be waiting anxiously! It sounds like you are all set for her to come. I remember the day we had the girls thinking that I still wasn't "ready". Honestly, how can someone get ready for their first baby? I'm so excited for you. By the way, reading about feeling big and being in those last few weeks of pregnancy made me realize that I'm not quite ready for the pregnancy thing again! :) Hooray for almost being done with that! good luck with everything!

Eliza said...

Totally don't know you (although we have met a couple of times); I just clicked over from Jess F's blog. Congrats, you are so close! In a few days you already will have forgotten what it feels like to be pregnant.

Labor isn't so bad. It really isn't. At least for me, morning sickness was way worse. It's all in the mindset. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and there's only a certain amount of time you need to deal with it before you have your gorgeous baby girl in your arms. I mean, obviously it hurts but if you think of it as productive pain, I think that helps.

And babies are the best! You will be great!

Jamie said...

I can't wait for her arrival. I'll check daily for updates and pictures.

Also, perhaps she and Bryson will meet at BYU.

One tiny piece of advice: When I went into labor I decided to take a shower and blow dry my hair. Some people think this is crazy (or vain), but i think it was the smartest thing I ever did. My hair looked great in all of the pics even if the rest of me looked a little beat up. Also, I came to find out later that a hot shower can actually speed up the labor process. Maybe that explains why little Bryson was born in like four hours.

Good luck!

Lindsey said...

Okay - I am SO excited for you guys. I can't wait to hear you have had her and see pics too. I was thinking you should be close to having her, but I didn't know it was really any day! Nothing can really prepare you - but it is the best!

Granum Family said...

I loved reading this! I can't wait to look at your blog and see pictures of your beautiful baby girl!

mattnbeth said...

oh tar, im so excited for you! youre getting so close. and youre exactly right, NOTHING prepares you for having a child. its the best!

alma and nicole smith said...

i love this post taryn!!! what thoughts. having a baby is scary, but totally worth it! i would NEVER brag to you that i had my jagger early!! i think it is a huge blessing that you have carried her in there for so long, and don't you feel otherwise. and yes, you always always look fabulous! love you!!