Thursday, July 24, 2008

need more will power!


All I can think about right now are the cookies on my kitchen counter. I made some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for a luncheon this week and kept a few too many at home for my husband. Naturally, I tasted the cookies when I made the dough and again when I baked the first batch (I had to make sure they were good before I fed them to other people, right?!), so I know how delicious they are. Since that first taste, I have somehow managed to find the will power to abstain for the last couple days. But that will power is just about gone. (I know what you're thinking..."just have a cookie and get it over with!"...I know, I am being ridiculous. The thing is, I can't just have one cookie...I'm an all or nothing type of dessert-eater. If I go in for one cookie, I will end up eating four.)

I went to get a diet coke this evening, which is usually just the sweetness that I need to finish the night. But, tonight it is not enough. There are six cookies left...if I can just last one more day, either Michael will finish them, or we will take them with us on our trip on Saturday morning. (That's the other thing...we are going on a trip TO THE BEACH for a week, where I will likely be in a bathing suit every day...and I STILL want to go and eat cookies!) If I can just keep typing, then I won't go into the kitchen and make it five cookies left. (more like two cookies left, if we are being honest)

Enough of my inner-monologue...here is the recipe for the cookies I can't stop thinking about. Try them--you won't be disappointed. And next time, I will be sure to give more of these delicious treats away!

Here's what you'll need:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 firmly packed brown sugar
1 package JELL-O Brand Vanilla Flavor Instant pudding and pie filling
2 eggs
3 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1 cups raisins (optional)...I substituted chocolate chips, naturally

Mix flour with baking soda. Combine butter, the sugars and pudding mix in large mixing bowl; beat until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs. Gradually add flour mixture; then stir in oats and raisins/chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes about 5 dozen.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Yum- although this is not good for my post baby bod!

Hinton Family said...

I will have to try them...or maybe not. But I too am an all or nothing....I had four brownies I made yesterday.

Jessica said...

I was super sad over the outcome of the ward boundary changes that I told Dan I wanted to eat a whole pan of brownies. Maybe I should try these cookies instead.

But then I remembered I have a 7 week old baby and plenty of pounds still to shed. I will have to wait on both brownies and cookies, I guess. So I am now double sad. Boo.